Popular Posts

Sunday 8 November 2015

Pizzeria 'Formula Uno'

Located a mere 10 minute walk from Termini station and advertised as ‘The Best Pizza in Rome’, this pizzeria comes highly recommended for when you want good grub on the cheap, away from the tourist crowds. Just seconds away from my doorstep and recommended by my Air BnB host Enea, I thought I’d try this place out to see if it really was as good as he said.

Situated just off the Via Tiburtina, (via Degli Equi 13), this unassuming little place serves up an array of pizzas from 7.30pm-midnight, six days a week. This pizzeria is a stronghold of the locals, and you can expect to be the only tourist in sight. You’ll also find yourself practicing your restaurant Italian but don’t let these things put you off; wherever the locals go you can guarantee good quality, and this pizzeria really is worth a visit!

What you see is what you get with Formula Uno. White-washed walls sporting pictures of Formula One cars and racing legends, simple unadorned wooden tables and service that meets the bare minimum to avoid anyone making a complaint; but the pizza comes out fast, hot and REALLY tasty! In my three days I tried Margherita (of course), Melanzane (aubergine) and Peperoni (peppers- not salami!). They were simple, fresh, filling and satisfying. One of these followed by a gelato from any of the several gelaterias on the Via Tiburtina was more than enough to keep me going until breakfast.

The pizza toppings are all described in English (which I found surprising given that I was the only tourist around). With pizzas ranging from €5-8, you can get a decent sized pizza and a drink for under €10, and ¼ litre of house wine costs the same as a small bottle of mineral water, €1.50!  It’s worth noting that Italians generally drink water alongside their alcohol, so if you want to blend in a bit more in this almost entirely local pizzeria then I would recommend doing that; it also doesn’t hurt to make sure you’re fully rehydrated after a day sweating your way around the streets of the Centro Storico!  There is no cover charge, so you don’t have to worry about being shafted for an extra €3-6 when the bill comes out (il conto, per favore). Tips are not included in the bill, but tipping is down to your discretion  - tipping in Italy is generally neither required nor expected.


I really enjoyed my meals at Formula Uno. As I was alone in Rome for the first time and still adjusting to being back in a country I hadn’t visited for over a year, to be able to eat so well and so cheaply was a real comfort, and started what would become a four-month long taste odyssey.

No comments:

Post a Comment